Crumont and Sanitary Barbershop Buildings
Gutted By Flames Today
Fire, discovered at 2:30 this morning, completely gutted the buildings occupied by the Crumont and the Sanitary Barbershop at the corner of Howard and Market streets, and for a time threatened to spread to the entire block of buildings in the heart of the business district.
The origin of the fire is unknown, but it is believed to have started in the rear of the Crumont, a confectionery, from some cooking instrument, which had probably been left burning. When the blaze was discovered, the entire interior of the Crumont was ablaze, and heavy smoke pouring from the building prevented the firemen from fighting the flames from the inside.
There was only a plastered wall between the Crumont and the Sanitary Barbershop, and the flames spread through the low ceiling under a tin roof and the wall into the barbershop, burning the interior of the building. In the rear of the Crumont, an office had been partitioned off with beaverboard, and the fire ate its way into the office, and to the brick walls of the Commonwealth Building. On the south of the barbershop, a brick wall of the building occupied by D. C. Peteet & Bro., held the flames at bay until the fire was under control.
Flames from the rear of the Crumont licked the windows of the two-story Commonwealth Building and for a time threatened to invade that building.
Three streams of water were necessary before the blaze was brought under control.
The work of the firemen was hampered greatly by the tremendous volume of heavy black smoke, which poured out of the buildings and prevented any entrance with the hose for some time.
The fire ate its way with but little flame, apparently spreading more from intense heat than from licking tongues of flame, and generated a heavy volume of gaseous smoke which burst into flame when struck by the air currents. The ceiling of the burned building is close under a tin roof, and the fire, lacking air, smoldered through the building until eating its way into the open. Windows of the barbershop, after the fire had eaten into that building, were blown as if by an explosion, and the upper windows of the office in the rear of the Crumont were thrown into the street by the same sort of blast. After the windows blew out, the flames burst out brightly, but the firemen were then enabled to get into the building and in a short time afterward had the blaze under control.
The blaze was discovered about 2:30 by the Negro porter at the Hotel Irving, who saw the reflection two blocks up Howard Street and the alarm was turned in by the night clerk at the Irving.
Policemen Elkin Selliger and Lake Smith reported having passed the Crumont not more than a quarter of an hour before the blaze was discovered and at that time there was no sign of fire showing on the interior. The night watchman for Staple Cotton Association reported to the same effect, and it is supposed that the fire had eaten slowly in the close interior of the building without giving any sign until it reached the air when the entire building burst into flames.
The building was owned by Mrs. B. Dantone. The Crumont was owned by R. E. Mathews, and the Sanitary Barbershop by J. A. Carithers and J. M. Freeman. The building and the contents are total losses.
The loss is estimated at approximately $25,000, which was partially covered by insurance.
Nearly two hours stubborn fighting was necessary before the flames were subdued.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, March 21, 1929
Mrs. Dantone Has Partition Put Into New Building
The new building at the corner of Howard and Market streets belonging to Mrs. Dantone, is being made into two separate buildings. A partition is being extended across the width of the building and one store will be entered from Howard and the other from West Market.
This building has just recently been completed and takes the place of the old Crumont, which burned several months ago. The new building is one of the most handsome business houses in the city and has never been occupied since its completion. Mrs. Dantone decided that it was too large for one store and thus it is that she is having the partition built. Upon seeing the new partition being put into place, many people have been curious to know if it has been rented. It has not been leased to anyone, as yet, Mrs. Dantone said this morning.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, September 25, 1929
NEW QUARTERS FOR ROBERTS
Robertsí Drug Store has nearly completed the moving of fixtures and stock from its location in the Gardner Building on Howard Street to the Dantone Building directly across Howard.
Roberts new quarters has been completely remodeled and redecorated and fitted up as one of the handsomest and most convenient drug stores in Mississippi.
Moving was started last night, and by morning, the store was ready to serve its customers while the final moving of stock and fixtures was going on.
The new location is more convenient for Robertsí soda water trade, and the new quarters will enable Roberts to give even better service to his customers than formerly.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, November 24, 1933
Site of the Crumont Building, Greenwood, MS., circa 2007,
currently Greenwood Tae Kwon Do.