MEMORIAL BUILDING TO BE DEDICATED APRIL 15
The J. Z. George Chapter U. D. C. and the Woman's Club of Greenwood will dedicate the Confederate Memorial Building on April 15. The citizens of Leflore County and their guests are invited. Confederate veterans and Confederate women are especially invited to attend.
The dedicatory exercises will be at eleven o'clock in the morning, beginning at the Washington Street entrance, and closing at the Henderson Street entrance of the building, corner of Washington and Henderson Streets. All ladies are invited to the auditorium of the building to hear addresses by Mrs. J. H. Price, President Mississippi Federation of Women's Clubs, and Mrs. Lillie Scales Slaughter, President Mississippi Division U. D. C., at three o'clock in the afternoon.
At 8 o'clock in the evening, all adult white citizens of Leflore County and their visitors are invited to a reception at the building. No written invitations to any of these will be sent in Leflore County, as this is the invitation to the citizens of the county.
From The Commonwealth, April 9, 1915
Memorial Building Dedicated
The Confederate Memorial Building was dedicated yesterday and formally opened to the public. The services both morning and afternoon were well attended and very interesting, though there was much regret that the three distinguished ladies, Mrs. Stephens, Mrs. Slaughter and Mrs. Price, who were expected to be here and take part in the program, were all unable to come and sent telegrams at the last minute expressing their regret. The reception last night was not so well attended. The average man naturally shuns a reception unless he feels that his presence is expected. No individual invitations were sent, but a general invitation extended to all and the result was that very few men attended and the ladies were pretty well worn out with the exercises of the day.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, April 16, 1915Home | Previous | Next