River Front Greenwood, MS 1884.
WILLIAMS LANDING TO BE REPRODUCED
The chief attraction about which all the activities of the Spring Festival will center, will be the reproduction of early Greenwood at the site of the old boat landing, once known as Williams Landing.
George Chambless, Jr., is general chairman of the Williams Landing Committee, and he and his committee, compose of Wade Stokes and Wm. Vardaman, are busy with plans to produce the village of one hundred years ago in as perfect replica as possible. A general store and old-fashioned saloon, serving beer, will be built on the lot just east of the American Legion stadium, and everything possible will be done to bring back the spirit and atmosphere of the pioneer days of Greenwood.
The committee is very eager to assemble as many relics of early Greenwood as possible, which will be put on exhibition in the general store. Anyone having old pictures, maps, furniture, or other mementoes suggestive of bygone days, or of historical interest, is requested to get in touch with some member of the committee or call the Chamber of Commerce. The committee will be responsible for the safe return of such contributions, and will call and collect them at a proper time.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, March 21, 1934
WILLIAMS LANDING REPLICA WORK BEGINS IMMEDIATELY
The rebuilding of the settlement at the old boat landing known as Williams Landing, which later became the city of Greenwood, will be begun within the next few days, according to a report given by George Chambless, general chairman.
This is one of the most ambitious projects of the Spring Festival committee, call for a considerable outlay of both money and effort. The buildings will be faithfully reproduced from old photographs of the early settlement, and will include several buildings in their entirety, and a number of others in front only.
The General Store will be occupied by historical exhibits assembled by the Daughters of the American Revolution. This organization has already in mind a number of very interesting relics and valuable heirlooms, which they expect to include in the exhibit. Mrs. Alfred Stoner is chairman of the committee on exhibits, and working with her are Mrs. W. P. Keesler and Mrs. P. L. DeLoach. Mrs. W. T. Johnson, president of the Chapter, requests that anyone having antiques, relics, old books, documents or other suitable articles for the exhibit, get in touch with the above committee. All articles so received will be registered, and the utmost care will be taken to keep them safely.
Williams Landing will open Thursday night, in advance of the Festival, which formally opens Friday morning. On Thursday night, the settlement will be attacked by a tribe of wild Indians, who will swoop down upon the little town from the river. The redskins will make their way stealthily up the river in boats and about dusk, they will terrify the unsuspecting settlers with their blood-curdling war whoops and dances performed by the light of flickering torches and blazing bonfires.
The Landing will be the center around which the whole Festival will revolve, and will, from time to time, be the scene of special entertainments, such as old fashioned square dances, fiddlers contest, and other interesting features.
The Williams Landing Committee is composed of members of both the Junior and Senior Chambers of Commerce, namely George Chambless, Jr., chairman, Wm. Vardaman, Jr., Wade Stokes, Jr., Malcolm Mitchell and George Roberts.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, April 13, 1934
Work on Williams Landing, which began Monday, has progressed to such an extent, that a visit to the Landing will give one a fair idea of what the replica of the old settlement will look like when it is finished. The building, which is nearing completion, is the Log Cabin, which will house relics of the early days, and be in charge of the D. A. R. The Indian wigwam, which is being constructed, will contain specimens of Boy Scout handicraft, and will also play an important part in the Indian attack, which will occur the night the settlement is opened.
The old town is being produced at the site of the old boat landing, on the lot east of the American Legion stadium. While out driving Sunday afternoon, you will find a visit to the Landing interesting, and indicative of the magnitude of the Festival plans.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, April 21, 1934
Williams Landing, 1834, now Greenwood, MS.
W. S. VARDAMAN, JUNIOR IS DEAD
Injury Suffered Last Night Causes Dead At Noon Today
William Sylvester Vardaman, Jr., 26, died at the Greenwood Leflore Hospital at noon today, as a result of injuries received last night. Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at four o’clock from the family residence on Grand Boulevard. Interment will be made at the Odd Fellows Cemetery.
Mr. Vardaman was injured about two o’clock this morning on the school grounds while attending the Grand Festival Ball. During an intermission in the program, he ran from the building to his car and ran into the flagpole on the school ground in the darkness, sustaining a fractured skull, which caused his death at noon today.
Mr. Vardaman was the only son of Mr. And Mrs. W. S. Vardaman. He was born in Greenwood, graduating from the Greenwood High School and the University of Mississippi. Following his graduation at the University, Mr. Vardaman returned to Greenwood to practice law and was one of the moist promising young lawyers in Mississippi. A splendid young man of high moral character, unusual intelligence, William Vardaman’s death is a loss to his community and his state.
The following friends will serve as pallbearers for the funeral tomorrow:
A. H. Bell, P. D. Montjoy, Jr., Ed Antoon, Hardy Lott, W. H. Montjoy, John Ashcraft, Dr. I. B. Bright, Gilruth Mounger.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, May 5, 1934
Log Cabin Inn Moved To New Location
Mr. And Mrs. Jack Watts have bought the Log Cabin Inn that was formerly located at Williams Landing, and have moved it to a new location near their home on Highway 49-E, where they will serve all kinds of sandwiches and drinks, specializing in pit barbecue.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, July 23, 1935
LOG CABIN INN IS REMODELED
The Log Cabin Inn, located on Mississippi Avenue, under the management of Mr. And Mrs. Jack Watts, is being remodeled and when complete will be a most up-to-date night club, catering to the highest class trade.
Although the club has not yet announced the date of formal opening, the dance floor is ready and a number of booths have been finished, and they are opening tonight for dining and dancing.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, September 21, 1935Home | Previous | Next